- This event has passed.
OTP: Sincerity, Respect, and Meaning: Virtual Land Acknowledgements at UBC
October 7, 2020 at 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
The UBC Okanagan Centre for Teaching and Learning is proud to promote the UBC Vancouver Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology Online Teaching Program (OTP) events to our Okanagan instructors.
One thing staff and faculty may have noticed about working at UBC is our commitment to mending, creating, and sustaining good relationships with Indigenous peoples, in particular the Musqueam people on whose unceded, traditional, and ancestral lands our Vancouver campus is situated on. Part of this work is reflected in our ability to acknowledge these lands in a sincere, respectful, and meaningful way. For many, the idea of delivering a land acknowledgement can be anxiety provoking, often due to a lack of understanding about what they are, why we do them, and what exactly we’re supposed to say. Join us for this session where we will explore and address some of the barriers we may be experiencing, and begin a learning journey to offering meaningful land acknowledgements.
- Further understanding of why land acknowledgements are important part of our work at UBC.
- Increased familiarity with resources and educational tools needed to access practical information on delivering land acknowledgements (locate territory, guidelines for when to do them).
- Ability to utilize three key considerations for creating a meaningful land acknowledgement as part of our work at UBC.
- Amy Perreault, Senior Strategist, Indigenous Initiatives, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT)
- Erin Yun, Educational Consultant, Classroom and Campus Climate, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT)
- Kyle Shaughnessy, Education Consultant, Staff Training, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT)
- Bronte Burnette, Educational Resource Developer: Indigenous Initiatives, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT)
Please ensure you have your own quiet space, a computer with a webcam and headphones or earbuds.