Cancelled: Safe is Not Enough: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Education and Leadership Workshop
June 29 at 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
One event on June 30, 2020 at 9:00 am
We invite educators, counsellors, administrators, health personnel, and community members to join us for this two-day non-credit summer program.
The SOGI UBC workshop will assist participants in understanding and exploring inclusive approaches that recognize, and intervene to transform, the impacts of systemic discrimination towards sexual and gender minorities.
Your experienced facilitator will present ready to use resources, hands-on activities and group discussion in a supportive atmosphere. You will meet passionate and knowledgeable colleagues as well as incredible guest speakers who will share their lived experience and inclusive strategies that work. As well, we will highlight, brainstorm and problem-solve some of the most common SOGI scenarios which arise in schools and youth-related organizations so that you can plan and react with greater confidence in the future.
Key topics will include:
- a deeper understanding of sexual orientation and gender identity
- essential SOGI terminology and language
- legal requirements, Ministry guidelines, school policies and procedures
- best practices for facilities, field trips and extra-curricular activities
- creating an inclusive classroom and school environment
- running a successful gender sexuality alliance (GSA) or elementary diversity club
- meeting the needs of trans and gender fluid youth
- building trust and addressing parent/community questions
- understanding and developing an intersectional approach/lens
- an introduction to concept, history and well-being of Two Spirit people
- tips for inclusive sexual health education
- responding to and teaching students to respond to discrimination
NON-CREDIT REGISTRATION & FEES
General Registration Fee (non-credit): $200 + GST
Learn more about the workshop by visiting education.ok.ubc.ca/sogi.