- This event has passed.
UBCO Express STI Testing
December 1, 2022 at 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
UBCO Express STI Testing – Can you make time for a quickie?
In an ongoing effort to make STI testing more accessible and convenient, Student Wellness is providing express STI screening in Nechako Residence! No appointment is needed.
**Remember to bring your Provincial Health Number or iMed so we can send your samples to the lab. We will also need your student number for registration.
Here’s How It Works:
Routine STI screening includes testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea.
- Once you arrive at intake, we will email or text you a questionnaire.
- The nurse will call you over and will explain how to collect your own samples and you will take the provided swabs or urine cup to a nearby bathroom. It’s fast, easy and painless.
- Once finished, you will return your samples (in a paper bag) and we will be in touch within 2 weeks if there are any positive results. No news is good news!
- The whole process takes a few minutes.
- We may also give you a requisition to get bloodwork done at a community lab. This tests for HIV, syphilis and makes sure you are still immune to Hepatitis B.
Why get tested?
The only way to know if you have a sexually transmitted infection (STI) is to get tested, since it is common not to have any symptoms when you have an STI. The good news is that STIs are manageable, if not curable! The bad news is that if left untreated, they can lead to complications. Using condoms can reduce your risk of getting an STI but it does not eliminate your risk. If you’re sexually active, regular STI testing is key!
For more information about this event please visit the Residence Wellness Hub Website.